Sunday, October 11, 2015

Sour Cream Pumpkin Pie- GAPS, Paleo, SCD Friendly

Here is a recipe just in time for Canadian Thanksgiving. So delicious! 
But first..... 

This being a time to give thanks, I would like thank my patients who have taught me so much, my family, my fellow integrative physicians who do cutting edge medicine, my readers and supporters.

I would also like to publically thank the local fire station #42 for taste testing this recipe, a pie which was a token gift to them for putting out a fire in my kitchen.......when I wasn't home!!!!! 

The crew at fire station #42

Because I have a monitored smoke alarm, the team was called and took care of everything before I got home. Mike saved the house from major damage by doing some quick thinking. I only lost a chair (long story) and had minimal smoke issues, and no house damage. I am so grateful nothing worse happen. No fire, even a small one is a casual affair. I don't mind saying that I was very afraid when I heard the smoke alarm was going off because I knew it wasn't a false alarm. It was the longest drive back home. 

I am a believer in monitored smoke alarms! 

I thank all firefighters for their dedication to a dangerous job. Now for the recipe.

  

Sour Cream Pumpkin Pie- Dairy Free

Makes one 10 inch pie
Three or four days before, start the fermented coconut milk sour cream. See below for the recipe. If you don't have any, sour the milk with a recipe in the link below. 

Crust:

2 Madjool dates with the pit removed

1 cup unsweetened coconut without additives like sulphites, or sugar
1 Tbsp coconut oil
Pinch of Sea salt

Preheat oven to 450 F and adjust rack to middle position. Line 10 inch springform pan with parchment.

Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until just mixed well and dough holds together when pressed between your fingers. 

Press this mixture firmly into bottom of the pan. Bake crust until golden brown about 8 minutes. Cool

Filling:


1 cup cooked pureed pumpkin or buttercup squash 
5 large eggs, preferably pasture, organic raised. 
2 cups coconut milk sour cream- see recipe below (if you don't have fermented coconut milk, use regular coconut milk and sour it but it won't be fermented and full of probiotics)
1/4 c maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 Tbsp organic ginger powder
11/2-2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp of Sea Salt
Place all ingredients in the blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into baked cooled pie crust. Place springform on a large baking sheet in centre of oven with 1/4 inch of water in it. 
Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes until edges of pie are set, a toothpick comes out clean and top is slightly brown. Cool to room temperature before serving. 

Serve alone or with whipped coconut cream. Whipped coconut cream is made just like whipped cream but you start with the thickened cream left over from draining off the thinner milk once the can of coconut milk has been cooled in the fridge or freezer and there has been separation of the fuller fat coconut milk.

To make coconut milk sour cream:
Take 2 cups of coconut milk, full fat and put into a  3 or 4 cup jar. Open a probiotic capsule and pour into milk with a pinch of Sea salt, cap and set aside at room temperature for four days. Use right away or you can put it into the fridge to slow down the fermentation process. In a week it will be more sour and more like cream cheese, which is also good for baking. I wouldn't keep it longer than a week in the fridge. If you find a scum on top of the cultured coconut milk it's the probiotics in contact with air and they are not unhealthy. Wipe the scum off, and the remaining coconut milk should be sour and good to bake with. Another writer makes cultured or fermented coconut milk sour cream this way. I skip the step of heating the milk and I am quite happy with the results.

For another variation, try my pumpkin haters' "Best Ever" pumpkin pie recipe found here.

Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian readers.May you have many Blessings on your family.
To Your Health
Dr. Barbara



No comments:

Post a Comment